By: Laura Medel Nelson
Essay writing is never complete without the two most essential parts - the introduction and conclusion. Why? Introductions serve as teasers that establish and convey the relevance of the whole essay. On the other hand, conclusions serve as deal sealers that leave strong and persuasive impressions on the readers.
With such great responsibility, introductions and conclusions have to be as powerful as possible. These paragraphs give the readers the opening and ending statements required that can make or break an essay. Brilliant essay writing has two vital factors - an attractive introduction and a strong conclusion.
Writing a good introduction and conclusion is not done in a snap. It entails the squeezing of creative juices and sufficient time to research. But there are some important considerations that can guide essay writers in coming up with hip beginning and ending statements.
Writing Introductions - The introduction is basically designed to grab reader's attention. It also aims to provide the readers a brief rundown of the essay's main focus and idea. Remember two main points.
1. Begin with a bang. An attention grabber opening paragraph is a sure hit in essay writing. How can you do this? Here are some ways:
• Use startling information - Employing surprising and revealing information has always been a good way to start an essay. Essay writing is an exciting and brain stimulating activity. Using startling facts make readers curious and excited. Therefore it compels them to read more. However, the information must be true and confirmable.
• Through anecdotes - Using anecdotes is another way to start an essay. An anecdote is a story that exemplifies a point. But the anecdote must be short and genuinely relevant to the topic. This method can be a competent essay writing opener, although, it must be done cautiously.
• Try dialogues - Using dialogues as an introduction entails crucial scrutiny. The dialogue has to be appropriate and relevant. The readers must be able to understand the point that the dialogue is trying to convey. It is ideal to use only two or three exchanges between speakers to establish the main point. It must still appear as essay writing activity and not script writing.
• Apply information summary - In writing formal essays, information summary works best. A few sentences citing the general points of the topic can actually lead the readers towards the heart of the essay. It is ideal that each sentence gradually become more and more specific, until it reaches thesis statement.
2. Finish the opening paragraph with the thesis statement. This is to immediately convey to the readers the essential points that the essay offers.
Writing Conclusions - Essay writing can never be effective without a closing statement. The conclusion does not only bring closure to the readers; it is also a tool so that the essay can leave a strong and compelling impression to the readers. It does not merely sum up the important points of the essay, but it wraps up and provides a personal perspective on the topic.
Conclusions are usually three to four sentences long. It is not advisable to have long and winding ending paragraphs. Three sentences will do. However, these sentences must be powerful enough to achieve the goal of the essay, whatever it might be. Essay writers also have to ensure that the written conclusion emphasizes the value of the main claim.
There is only one key point in essay writing to make it invincible: Begin strong, end stronger.